Secondary Ed SIG
Secondary Education Special Interest Group
Get your pencils ready for Illinois TESOL-BE's Secondary Ed Writing Contest! The Illinois TESOL-BE Secondary Ed SIG will be holding its Secondary Writing Contest.
Specific guidelines and deadlines are available on the Writing Contest
webpage. Winners for each category will be announced on at the Illinois TESOL-BE Convention
in Naperville, Illinois.
ILLINOIS TESOL-BE SECONDARY SPECIAL INTEREST GROUP BY-LAWS
STATEMENT OF PURPOSE
The Secondary Education Special Interest Group will encourage and promote communication, information-sharing, publication, and awareness of English for Speakers of Other Languages and Bilingual Education at the secondary level.
The special interest group (SIG) will represent educators of ESL/BE by providing a forum for the discussion of standards, issues, and concerns related to ESL/BE in secondary education. The special interest group will also develop positions as appropriate for consideration by the Illinois TESOL-BE Executive Board.
Article I- Name
The name of this special interest group will be “ESL/BE in Secondary Education.”
Article II- Objectives
The objectives of this special interest group will be
- Stimulate scholarship, collaboration, consultation and dialogue among ESL/BE professionals in secondary education.
- Inform the public and other educators regarding the nature and role of ESL/BE in secondary education.
- Promote and implement the TESOL K-12 Standards. Article III- Activities
The SIG activities will include, but will not be limited to the following:
- Contribute SIG-related articles to the Illinois TESOL-BE Newsletter.
- Sponsoring sessions at the annual convention and at other Illinois TESOL-BE workshops and conferences.
- Holding at least one meeting per year.
Article IV- Membership
Members of the SIG must be members in good standing of Illinois TESOL-BE
Article V- Officers
- A chairperson shall be elected by Secondary SIG members no later than May 15 and serve as a voting member of the Illinois TESOL-BE Executive Board for a term of one year, from June 1 through May 31.
- A co-chairperson may be elected annually by Secondary SIG members no later than May 15 and serve as a voting member of the Illinois TESOL-BE Executive Board for a term of one year, from June 1 through May 31.
- An acting chair may be appointed at the discretion of the chair for a specified period of time. The acting chair will perform the duties of the chair for a specified period of time.